Google and Wikipedia DO NOT EQUAL Research
Research is an easy 6 step process (We call it THE BIG 6). Follow the step for an outstanding project!
- Define your task
- Know what is being asked of you
- List out all your requirements
- Identify what information you will need (5WH - Who, What, When, Where, Why and How)
- Know other terms you may need to search under
- Seek your Information
- Brainstorm Ideas
- Use the Pathfinders provided for you
- Know the difference between paraphrasing, quoting and summarizing
- Locate and Access your information
- Can you locate the Pathfinder and Library web page?
- Do you have all the usernames and passwords you may need if you are off campus?
- USE your information
- Have you found information to answer the 5WH question? (Who, What, When, Where, Why and How)
- Have you cited every source that you have used?
- Organize your information
- Do you have enough information?
- If not, can you enter a search that will give specific information for what you are missing?
- Evaluate your information
- Have someone who has not done any research on the topic review your paper/presentation to make sure it makes sense and answers all the questions asked.