The brain is always growing and as such, needs to keep growing during the summer (non-school) months.
Why do we need to read during the summer when we are not in school? Reading has life long benefits that begin from the first time a book is read aloud to them.
People who read:
1) are more empathetic
2) have expanded vocabulary
3) are more knowledgeable
4) have stronger writing skills
5) have stronger analytical skills
6) improved memory
7) improved focus and concentration
8) are better conversationalist
9) have reduced stress and increased mental health awareness and
10) are able to think more critically about information than non readers.
All students rising 5th through 8th grade
Reinforcing the skills and processes learned during the school year is imperative for student success and reading through the summer builds new brain connections and strengthens current connections.